Family Life

If you partner and children intend to accompany you to Berlin, you will have to complete some additional formalities before you leave. Please note that your partner and children will also need visas. Please be also aware that accompanying children who are older than 18 years will need an individual purpose of stay; family reunification is insufficient.

If your partner will pursue his/ her occupation during your stay in Germany, he/ she must apply for a visa with the intention to work (§18). For a subsequent work engagement after arrival, you need to apply for a work permit. This does not apply to citizens of EU countries as well as Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway, who will receive a "Freizügigkeitsbescheinigung" with work permit. More details on the subject of work, work permits as well as current provisions for individual countries can be found in the Internet portal of EURAXESS Germany and at Study in Germany.